Charleville advance to Munster JAHC Final

Charleville……………………..…..2-13 Rockwell Rovers…………………..0-8

Charleville Junior A hurlers had 11 points to spare over West Tipperary side Rockwell Rovers in the Munster JAHC semi final at Charleville on Sunday.

There was a fine attendance present to witness a keenly contested game played in cold wintry conditions. The opening stages were very close with the New Inn/Rosegreen side well in contention. The Tipperary side started well with Barry Shortall opening the scoring in the first minute. They followed with a pointed free by Alan Moloney. It took the Rathluirc side till the 10th minute to open their account when Derry Murphy pointed. Charleville improved in defence with Michael O’Flynn, Danny O’Flynn and Brendan Dennehy in great form. James O’Brien with pointed frees in the 12th and 14th minutes gave the North Cork side the lead. Charleville struck a number of wides and Tommy Flynn with a great point had the sides level after 15 minutes of play. Rovers took the lead soon after when Alan Moloney pointed a free after a foul on James Heffernan. The sides were level again when impressive James O’Brien pointed in the 21st minute. Charleville continued to be off target and by half time they had 10 wides to just 3 for Rockwell Rovers. Late points by Andrew Cagney and James O’Brien (free) gave the home side an interval lead 0-6 to 0- 4.

Charleville started the second half in a very determined manner. They won a lot of possession in the half backline and with James Casey doing very well at midfield they put the Rovers backline under a lot of pressure. James O’Brien (free) Mervyn Gammell and Gavin Kelleher with minors opened up a 0-9 to 0-4 lead after just five minutes. Charleville moved six points clear when James O’Brien struck his sixth point that put six between the sides 0-10 to 0-4. In the 37th minute Alan Moloney pointed another free and Charleville lost Alan O’Connor to a second yellow card. For the next 10 minutes Rockwell were very strong. Pat Halley, Tommy Flynn and Alan Moloney created a number of chances. Moloney struck two points one from a free and when substitute David Byrne pointed in the 47th minute just two points separated the sides and Charleville looked slightly vulnerable leading 0-10 to 0- 8. However, the Rathluirc lads rose to the occasion and finished very well. James O’Brien was provider for Mark Kavanagh who scored a marvellous goal and that put them on their way. Three minutes later in the 52nd minute O’Brien added a pointed free and the same player struck a great goal after being put through by Gavin Kelleher. It was all Charleville at this stage who tagged on two late points by James O’Brien and James Casey to run out deserving winners in the end.

Scorers for Charleville: James O’Brien 1-8 (0-6 frees), Mark Kavanagh 1-0, Mervyn Gammell 0-1, Gavin Kelleher 0-1, James Casey 0-1, Andrew Cagney

0-1, Derry Murphy 0-1,

Rockwell Rovers: Alan Moloney 0-5 (0-4frees), Barry Shortall 0-1, Tommy Flynn 0-1, David Byrne 0-1.

Charleville: Cyrian Curtin, Michael O’Flynn, Conor Fitzgerald, Alan Dennehy, Barry McCarthy, Daniel O’Flynn, Brendan Dennehy, James Casey, Derry Murphy, Gavin Kelleher, Denis O’Sullivan, Mervyn Gammell, Andrew Cagney, Alan O’Connor, James O’Brien. Subs Fergus O’Callaghan for Denis O’Sullivan, Mark Kavanagh for Mervyn Gammell, James Foley for Gavin Kelleher, Brian Barrett for James O’Brien, P.J. O’Halloran for Alan Dennehy,

Rockwell Rovers: Michael O’Donnell, Stephen Quirke, Eoin Shine, Liam Lonergan, Stephen Boland, Pat Halley, Kevin Heaney, Tommy Flynn, Gavin Ryan, Eoin Byrne, Paul Halley, Alan Moloney, James Heffernan, Barry Shortall, Michael Fahey. Subs Aidan Barron for Michael Fahey, David Byrne for Tommy Flynn, Colm Heaney for James Heffernan, Patrick Prendergast for Stephen Quirke, William Flynn for Gavin Ryan.

Referee: Declan O’Driscoll (Limerick)