Munster Junior B Hurling Championship Final:


HOLYCROSS BALLYCAHILL…………………………………………….0-10

‘Mission accomplished.’ Never did the familiar phrase have such a magnitude of meaning as when referee John Healy sounded the final whistle in Rathkeale on Sunday and talented Templeglantine were crowded Munster champions following a thrill a minute encounter with Tipperary champions Holycross Ballycahill.

The atmosphere was electric, the temperature was 6oC and the Bog Garden was in magnificent condition, as a fine crowd huddled together reminiscing of the worst storm in living memory the previous Wednesday and eagerly looking forward to an exciting encounter as the force of Hurricane Darwin had abated for this eagerly awaited game. Holycross Ballycahill captain Pádraig McGrath won the toss and played into the town end for the opening half. The Tipperary champions began impressively and raced into a 2 point lead courtesy of the accuracy of Paudie Comerford and Dan Feeney. Slowly but surely Glantine settled and cut the deficit to a solitary point when man of the match John Riordan rifled over their opening point following a foul on the tenacious Jesse Dore. A good delivery by John Riordan to Pat O’Connor saw the dual sportsman loft over the equaliser. Glantine took the lead in the 13th minute when John Riordan pointed a free following a foul on the inrushing James Riordan. Holycross/Ballycahill rallied again and were level for the second time in the game when left half forward Kevin O’Dwyer shot a fine point. A brilliant point by James Riordan combined with another pointed free by John Riordan uplifted Glantine’s confidence before John Fogerty and John Riordan exchanged points. In the closing minutes of the half James Riordan and Brendan Ryan exchanged points. The half time score read Templeglantine 0-7, Holycross Ballychaill 0-5. A point from John Riordan after 47 seconds gave Glantine a 3 point cushion before Holycross/Ballycahill rallied right back into contention thanks to the brilliance of supersub Peter Gavin who rifled over two magical points. Excitement was at fever pitch as 24 minutes remained and a solitary point separated the teams. Points by John and James Riordan restored Glantines 3 point advantage, Holycross/Ballycahill rallied again and cut the deficit to a solitary point thanks to the accuracy of Peter Gavin and Kevin O’Dwyer following a tremendous movement involving John Fogarty, Eoghan Moloney and Dónal Duggan before supersub Michael Sexton placed John Riordan for a fine point. Nine minutes remained when Peter Gavin cut the deficit to a solitary point. The closing minutes were spell binding as the talented Thomas Young rifled over the insurance points and the Glantine defence, ably marshalled by Gerard McCarthy repulsed the Holycross Ballycahill forward line. After a minute of injury time custodian Tadhg Bourke shot a close in free marginally wide of the target before referee John Healy sounded the final whistle. Seamus Murphy had one of his best games ever as well as Diarmuid Curtin. Overall a resounding victory for Templeglantine. After the match outstanding Killeedy chairman John Curtin thanked everybody for their support had special praise for St. Mary’s Seán Finn’s GAA Club for their magnificent co-operation with Killeedy in hosting the championship. West Board chairman Pat O’Donnell compliminted all for their co-operation, congratulated Glantine on their victory and had great personal memories of Mike Fitzmaurice RIP. Canon Willie Fitzmaurice presented the Michael Fitzmaurice Cup to a delighted Gerard McCarthy. Canon Willie congratulated both teams for a great game of hurling and was delighted to see Glantine as an emerging force. Team captain Gerard McCarthy thanked the entire panel and backroom team of Maurice Sheehan manager, selectors Dan Sexton, Gerry Conroy and Paddy Murphy, team trainer Gerard O’Connor, First Aid Aaron Murphy; Gerard thanked their enthusiastic supporters, Killeedy club who organised the competition Rathkeale for the use of their facilities saying it was great a small club to have achieved so much with 5 cups won in the current season and thanked all for their great dedication and commitment in the past year before giving 3 rousing cheers for Holycross/Ballycahill. Full marks to Killeedy GAA for their exceptional courtesy and organisational skills. Well done to Rathkeale GAA and both teams and supporters for making Sunday 16th February a day never to be forgotten,

Templeglantine: Seamus Murphy; Diarmuid Curtin, Anthony Murphy, Brian McAuliffe; Timmy Conroy, Gerard McCarthy, Patrick Brislane; Philip Collins, Seamus Scanlon; Thomas Young, John Riordan, Pat O’Connor; Jesse Dore, Gavin Harnett and James Riordan.

Subs: Cian Larkin, Michael Sexton and James O’Meara.

Holycross/Ballycahill: Tadgh Bourke; Philip Ryan, Alan Boyce, Eoghan Moloney; Dan Murphy, Conor Hayes, Brendan Ryan; Denis McCullagh, John Fogarty; Dan Fennessy, Michael Lee, Kevin O’Dwyer; Mark Fogarty, Pádraig McGrath and Paudie Comerford.

Subs: Peter Gavin, John Dunne and Eoin Burke.

Referee; John Healy (Clare)